Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I purchased a new build house 0n 18th December 2015. There

I purchased a new build house 0n 18th December 2015. There has been ongoing problems which have taken over 3yrs to sort out.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Somerford Cheshire. My question is.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have managed to get nearly all faulty outstanding work done. I pointed out to the builders Bloor homes that my kitchen cupboard surrounds are discolouring. Initially they refused to deal with it saying I was outside the 2 year warranty. I subsequently got in touch with Symphony kitchens which supplied the builders with my kitchen to be told they gave a 5year warranty. The builders are saying that although symphony kitchens will supply the surrounds they are NOT going to fit them.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. The builder did fit and replace some cupboard surrounds as they stated as a good will just last year. Which clearly shows the kitchen surrounds were faulty but are refusing to do the rest.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. What would you like to know about this situation please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What rights do I have. Should the builder replace the faulty panels or should I have to pay for an independant kitchen fitter to do the work.

Yes the builder should replace the faulty panels, regardless of the terms of the warranty you have the right to expect that the panels are fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. I would suggest you write a letter before action to the builder to give them 7 days to come up with a proposal to replace the panels and state that if they do not and you have to pay someone else to do it then you will take them to the county court to recover the cost of the work.

You would then be able to lodge a claim, if necessary, at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Is there anything further you would like to know about this please?

Just trying to call you now.

Hi the message I am receiving is that your number is ***** please can you let me know when you will be available to take the call?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jenny I have sent you a draft letter regarding the kitchen surrounds have you received it colette

No, can you attach it to this using the paperclip icon above?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jenny I have drafted this letter to the builder if it's ok I will pop to the library in the morning and type it out.Letter before ActionDear sir,Re: 9 Woodpecker Place SomerfordFurther to my telephone conversation with Cherry today regarding the discolouration of the kitchen cupboard surrounds, she informed me that Symphony Kitchens were going to supply replacements but Mike Melvin had informed her that you were not going to fit them and I was to make arrangements myself. I informed her that I wasn't happy with that.After speaking to Cherry I subsequently took legal advice and was informed, regardless of the terms of the warranty I have a right to expect that the panels are fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.If you do not as Mike Melvin has said replace the faulty panels I will engage a qualified kitchen fitter and recover the costs in the County Court.I look forward to hearing from you within the next 7 days.Yours faithfully,Mrs. M.C.LanceleyPlease let me have your comments and any amendments.ThankyouJenny I have drafted this letter to the builder if it's ok I will pop to the library in the morning and type it out.Letter before ActionDear sir,Re: 9 Woodpecker Place SomerfordFurther to my telephone conversation with Cherry today regarding the discolouration of the kitchen cupboard surrounds, she informed me that Symphony Kitchens were going to supply replacements but Mike Melvin had informed her that you were not going to fit them and I was to make arrangements myself. I informed her that I wasn't happy with that.After speaking to Cherry I subsequently took legal advice and was informed, regardless of the terms of the warranty I have a right to expect that the panels are fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.If you do not as Mike Melvin has said replace the faulty panels I will engage a qualified kitchen fitter and recover the costs in the County Court.I look forward to hearing from you within the next 7 days.Yours faithfully,Mrs. M.C.LanceleyPlease let me have your comments and any amendments.Thankyou

that is perfect, send it exactly as it is. Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Forgot to ask who should I address it to and should I have mentioned they have already replace panels as a goodwill gesture.

You should address it to the CEO of the company. Yes you can mention the fact that they have already replaced panels therefore they have accepted that the quality is not satisfactory in doing so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thankyou so much your advice has been very helpful
And took slot of stress and worry off me regards Collette.

No problem all the very best with it. Hopefully this letter will resolve it finally for you now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jenny,
I attach a copy of the builders response.
As I have a 5 year warranty with the supplier symphony kitchens something Bloor Homes omitted to inform me, its nothing g to do with them that I'm getting them free. Also if symphony had fitted the kitchen as well as supplying them. I'm sure they would do so again so why should Bloors do it.
Do you. Wed me to pay more money for further advice.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jenny12_Somerford_24.06.19.pdf
I have had a response from Bloor homes and attach a copy. As I have a 5yesr warranty with symphony something bloods omitted to tell me initially having the panels free is nothing to with bloor homes. Surely if symphony had fitted the kitchen as well as supplying it they would do so again so why do bloor homes think they shouldn't. I was going to acknowledge their email and say that as they are still not willing to fit the panels I will instruct a qualified kitchen fitted and recovery the costs in the County Court. Please let

Hi I can't see the attached response? Is there any chance you could open a new question for this for attention of me only?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jenny I have requested s phone call and paid again have you heard anything
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jenny its 2 weeks tomorrow since I sent my letter I've heard nothing. Should I get I touch with them or the kitchen. Company. Please let me know. It's not I usual for me to be ignored I think they are hoping I'll go away. Regards Collette

You can either write to them one more time or get quotes for the cost of the work and bring a claim.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They said they would sort out on my behalf with symphony kitchens regarding the surrounds and delivery. Should I put again letter before action on my letter. Regards Collette

Yes, they need to be aware if they do not honour you will take action.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thankyou again
Regards collette

No problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jenny I have received a letter from Bloor homes. It would cost them less to fit the panels. Do they know something I don't!. What do you recommend I do
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jenny I would like to speak to you regarding the letter from Bloors do I have to pay again if do what do I need to do. Collette