Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I'm trying to purchase the lease on my property I have 107

I'm trying to purchase the lease on my property I have 107 years left on it but it was sold to a third party without my knowledge and they want £4,574 which is £2,575 more than they wanted 2 years ago where do I stand on the sale without my knowledge issue please?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have paid a fee of £90 to a third party Midland Valuations who Marden Ltd who own the head lease appointed
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet spoken to a solicitor as I'm trying to find out whether I can afford the whole thing.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I still have to pay the council for their part of the lease too.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

The Head Leaseholder is/was free to sell their interest without your knowledge but this does not affect your right to purchase the Headlease (provided you have owned the property for at least 2 years). As the new Headleaseholder appears to perhaps trying to take advantage on the cost, you should instruct a suitably qualified Surveyor who can advise on how much you should be paying and negotiate on your behalf, if required.

I hope this clarifies the position. If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

I am then happy to answer any follow up question you may have.

Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks for that it's basically just down to morals, ethics and sheer greed , why should I have to pay their legal and surveyancy fees too a further £1,440 with the vat?

Hi, they can't demand any price from you- it comes down to how many years are left on the Lease, what the ground rent is, and how much the property is worth. I am afraid, however, they are entitled to charge you for their legal and Surveyors fees and the sums you quote are about the norm. Sorry.

Kind Regards Al