31090051

Assistant: How can I help? I received an email re:

Hello!
Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I received an email re: “ImageRights Copyright Infringement Claim Notification” from a Licensed Compliance Specialist at www.imagerights.com telling me I have to pay a £1250 fine. I posted an image on my website that I linked to the photographer and their website, but did not know that it was copyrighted, it has had 25 views over the last 6 years and no money was made form his whatsoever, 6 of those views this month I assume from this company. I removed it immediately after receiving the email. But did not respond straight away, within a week I have received a follow up email.After research I think it looks like this is almost a Phishing email, and I'm not sure this has come form the photographer themselves, I also think this should have some sort of DMCA take down notice? and then the last thing this should be in UK legal terms as I am in the UK?Any chance you could confirm f any of the above is correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Assistant: Do you have a registration record?
Customer: ??
Assistant: What confuses you?
Customer: What’s a registration record?
Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No, I’ve literally had an email stating the above, and then a second one to say I haven’t replied. I’ve taken the image down
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that’s it thank you

These type of emails are to be ignored. Take down the image and go silent on them. The amount they seek, even if they are legitimately acting for the copyright owner, is extortionate. Sometime they quote photo journalist rates which are far higher rates than you would pay for a stock photo for use on a website. However that apart, just ignore it. They will send more threats. Do not respond even if you are tempted to do so. They operate on the basis that some folk will pay up and others won’t. If you respond it will just encourage them. If you don’t they will eventually go away. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for my time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your response! I did think replying would encourage them. I wonder if you can tell me if you’ve dealt with anything similar before?

Yes, many times both with JA customers and also clients in private practice.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok great! Thanks so much!

You’re welcome. Don’t forget to leave a positive rating on the star rating system so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.