Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I want to know if i have a case. I don't feel i am treated

Hi, I want to know if i have a case. I don't feel i am treated equally at work and want to take action.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: This is my first step Hard to speak to HR or manager because they are either related to the director or is the director
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee no union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it for now

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Please can you explain the situation in more detail?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Examples of this are: Not being invited to overseas events which the company funded. Specifically 2 ibiza trips in 2015 and 2016. All staff members in my office have the ability to leave an hour early to go to the pub with my boss but I have to man the thought. There was a time when I went on holiday and my colleague contacted and told me he still went to the pub and they just closed the office.
Weekly lunches sometimes paid by the company but only a select few are invited. The whole situated has segregated me from my peers and has left me feeling low.

On what basis do you think you are being treated differently, how long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jenny i began typing before I got your reply

Not to worry , what do you think is the reason that you are being treated differently? How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have worked there for 6 years now. Maybe my boss doesn't like me. That simple really. I don't want to say it is a racial thing but the 5 black people that work there do not get any kind of additional benefits. I do hate to sound cliche but the remaining collegues in my office will be treated better then our group. They probabaly benefit from going out (pub) up to 100 times a year as we only benefit from the christmas party and maybe a mid year gathering if we are lucky
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Being in the accounts team I can also confirm the black people get paid less than there equal counterparts. Not sure if I am allowed to divulge specifics regarding that. My wage is actually very good but I am illustrating a possible pattern of discrimination.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
At times he will bring my colleagues out to lunch and take up to 2 hours yet we are only allowed 1 hour. On a consistent basis my colleagues go to the gym for 1 and a half hours which again is not allowed. I tried it and got pulled up about getting back on time. It is a very horrible environment to work in

Have you raised a grievance about this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have mentioned it to my boss regarding the late lunches but he shrugs it off. How should i go about doing it when he is the person causing the issues and his mum and sister are HR?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you think I have a case?

At the moment you need to raise a grievance as it is not possible to raise a claim of this nature until you have exhausted internal procedues. The grievance should be considered by someone who is not connected or potentially biased.

It will be incumbent on your employer to show that these decisions have been made for reasons entirely unconnected to your race. If it cannot then there is a claim.

After you have exhausted the grievance process you can lodge early conciliation with ACAS at www.acas.org.uk, if that is unsucessful you will have the opportunity to lodge a claim in the Employment Tribunal. Is there anything further you would like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is all thanks

No problem at all, please remember to rate my answer before leaving the site so that I can be credited for my time, thank you and all the best.