How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6394
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Do you deal with uk law re drainage from a neighbours

This answer was rated:

do you deal with uk law re drainage from a neighbours dwelling new extension damaging adjacent grazing paddock?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Where is the dwelling located?
Customer: a row of terraced cottages - three rear extensions - all roof wate fed into a disused septic tank which oveflows into our paddock - the paddock is between our property & theirs and used to graze our horses
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no


You should write to your neighbour and inform them about the damage being caused to your property and ask them to rectify their drainage. You may also complain about this to the environmental health section of your local authority as this may also be nuisance and they have the power to issue an abatement notice to your neighbour.

If your neighbour or council does not do anything, you may then go to your local magistrates court for an abatement order and make a claim for damages in the civil courts.

May I help further?

UKSolicitorJA and 8 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great - thanks. May need further advice depending on the success!