How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7066
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I need help taking a storage company to court, In Liverpool,

This answer was rated:

I need help taking a storage company to court
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Liverpool
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve contacted the storage company several time over missing items and broken items returned to me they’re now saying they won’t speak to me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I get legal aid for this of a no win no fee as I’m a single parent unemployed

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Legal aid would not be available for this type of legal case and a no win no fee solicitor would unlikely offer you that unless the damages (compensation) would be high. However, you can do this yourself and it would not cost anything if you can get a fee exemption for the court fee - which you can if you are on a low income, have low savings, or in receipt of benefits.

The first step is to know how much you want to sue the storage company for. This might be difficult as you would have to put a value on second hand items and items of sentimental value, etc. Once you have a figure, I would recommend that you send the company a letter before action to demand payment within 14 days and say that if they do not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them. See attached template as an example of what to say.

You would then need to fill out form N1 (attached) to set out details of your claim. You send 3 copies of that to County Court Money Claims Centre, PO Box 527, Salford, M5 0BY. You need an issue fee but you can ask for a fee exemption if you also fill out one copy of form EX160 (attached) and enclose with the claim form copies.

If you win the claim then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

There are other enforcement methods which I can help with, including bank account freeze, charging order on their property, summons to court for questioning, etc.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


JimLawyer and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you