Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My husband and I have had prescription pre-payment

My husband Carl and I have had prescription pre-payment certificates for over 10 years. Yesterday Carl received a letter giving notice of a £100 penalty charge plus a £26.40 prescription charge for free NHS prescriptions were claimed between 19/ - 5/4/19. Upon ringing the NHS Prescriptions, I was horrified to find that Carl's card wasn't automatically renewed, as we thought, as he will be 60 in July. We weren't aware that the certificate isn't automatically renewed if the client will reach 60 in that year. Nor were we informed that this would happen or that his certificate hadn't been renewed. We would never have not paid for prescriptions but I think to 'fine' us £100 is very harsh for our not being made aware. I have today paid for a 3 month certificate as Carl, having glaucoma, will need more prescriptions before he is 60. This could only be back dated 1 month to 20/5/19 so I am extremely worried that if, and I can't honestly remember, he has had any since 5/4/19. The NHS Prescriptions have said we are still liable to this 'fine' even though we didn't know. It is wrong that a glaucoma sufferer has to pay for prescriptions anyway as without them he would more than likely be blind by now. We have never in over 10 years claimed any prescriptions illegally and are very uspet that we now face this fine through not being made aware. Others I have spoken to who also have prepayment cards were also not aware of this ruling. I think card holders should be made far more aware of this ruling. Can you please advise if we can contest this charge? Many thanks, *****: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: we are in Runcorn Cheshire, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have rung the NHS this morning who say we still have to pay
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: such as?

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today.

Is this a new procedure than previously? Were you informed of it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have kept up the prepayment certificates - for the last 10+years. Basically if you don't cancel the D/D at renewal time it automatically carries on. We were not made aware that Carl's would not be automatically renewed as he would be 60 in July. Our renewal has always been in January
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can we keep text please I am in work

Ok then you need to write a formal complaint about this, you should not be penalised if you were not informed and any attempt to fine you in these circumstances is potentially discriminatory contrary to the Equality Act 2010. I would ask for a copy of the complaints procedure and threaten the ombudsman https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/.

You may also find it helps to involve your MP in an issue of this nature.

Is there anything further you would like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no that's fine thank you - the NHS today said it was up to us to check the date of expiry on the cards - no mention on the cards that his wasn't renewed. I'll get the letter written. Many thanks

No problem at all, I would be very grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site so that I will be credited for answering your question, thank you and all the best.