12826847

I think my face may be on a recognition watchlist. Where can

I think my face may be on a facial recognition watchlist. Where can I find out about my rights and the possibility of this being removed?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Why do you think this is the case?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a history of psychosis which affected my behaviour in public for a number of years.i have noticed alarms going off on leaving shops for a long time now, I am sure this is the case.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a tablet. I have a phone I can call you on.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Perhaps you could answer the question in writing first

I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Hello, I am a criminal law barrister and have over 12years experience.

How can i help please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would prefer to continue writing for now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My face is on a facial recognition watchlist as alarms routinely go off on leaving shops. Where can I find out about my rights and the possibility of this being removed?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not received a response for some time, am I still connected?

What do you mean by a watchlist?

Do you mean one shared by shops?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I became aware that some form of automatic alarm can be triggered, usually on leaving shops. I checked on the internet that 59% of UK retail outlets use some form of facial recognition, so yes.

Thanks for the information

Shops do share photographs of known suspects. That won't set off any automated system though. Shops don't have the facility to do that.

They are entitled to share your photograph if they wish to.

You could write to them asking them to remove the photographs but they are entitled to refuse.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice