Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

If a teacher is accused by a colleague of a personal assault

if a teacher is accused by a colleague of a personal assault in the workplace should the school involve the police?
JA: Was the accusation discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: HR involved she is suspended
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: employees she has been there for several years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please explain the situation in some more detail

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
the person inquestion has worked at school for some years and has beeen a teacher for some 30 years she asked a junior colleague to carry out a task the colleague left the room and reported her for assault, neglecting the children and threatening her

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. There is no legal obligation on the school to involve the police, but they can do if they wanted to. However, if the school believes that the seriousness of this offence is enough to warrant a referral to the police, they are within their power to do so and let this matter be taken over by them. They can still treat this as an internal disciplinary issue alongside any police investigation. However, the requirement to report it to the police is not of a legal nature, meaning that they do not have to do it, but if they felt it is appropriate they may do so