How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75082
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My ex partner is appearing in court charged with a criminal

This answer was rated:

Hi . My ex partner is appearing in court charged with a criminal offence tomorrow. The court papers were delivered here but he doesn’t live here anymore . What should I do? Should I tell the magistrate?
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hertfordshire
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Steps? He just received the notification of the court date about 3 weeks ago with tomorrow’s date. Nothing has been said to the courts and he’s not appointed a solicitor he’s representing himself
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that’s it thanks just the address thing

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. It’s kind of urgent as the case is being heard tomorrow

Does he know he is in court?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s just the wrong address on the paperwork
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What should I do?

Thanks for the information

You can always just give him the papers. That would resolve the entire problem.

If he knows he is due in court though then that is sufficient. The fact that he hasn't got the papers will be no issue.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I mean the official documents with my address on, when he’s sentenced ( there is likely to be some kind of probation) I don’t want my address used and the paperwork coming here, also my address used in the court round up in the press. Can I inform the court that this isn’t his address?

If you particularly want to.

Although you could just forward them onto him.

I doubt the court would take much notice of your notification.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you