How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9045
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Just looking for some quick advise concerning, an energy

This answer was rated:

Just looking for some quick advise concerning, an energy bill from 2 years ago.
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Had a phone call with the energy supplier which resulted on threat debt collection if indont pay.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The bill in question was queried at the time and the amount was revised by the supplier and then paid by me in full. This was two years ago I have since left the property. And now live with family elsewhere. They say they have no record of payment, and I have no paperwork as i shred everything that is felt with after one year.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

If they do pursue you for the bill which you have already paid, make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a deadlock letter.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to Ofgem (their regulator) - they will investigate and liaise with the energy company which would hopefully result in no further contact or threats of debt collection. They can order the energy company to make a financial award if they have acted badly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (when you used them) so you have a right to expect a reasonable service - if you do not then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of the energy company's conduct.

You can make the complaint here :

If they do escalate and you have a debt collector visit, tell them the bill is disputed and that they should not pursue you until the outcome of your complaint has been determined. Do not let the collectors in to your property. If they do turn up and you feel compelled to pay, you can sue the energy company for your outlay at once you send them a 14 day letter to demand the money back (and 14 days has passed). You can evidence the payment from your bank so you would have evidence to use if you had to sue them. And I have no doubt that you win that claim too - it would be a small claim so no lawyer would be required.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


JimLawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou for the advise I hope it helps me deal with the issue.

No problem, please come back to me if you have any further queries.

Have a good evening