UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have started with a new employer and been with them for 3

I have started with a new employer and been with them for 3 weeks (my job is to deal with day-to-day running of the business so he and his wife can have more social life.) I handed my notice in to my previous employer giving 3 months notice. With 1 week of my notice left, my new employer sent me a contract with certain items I was not happy with. I asked numerous questions over the following 2 weeks without any answers and, due to needing to start for pay, started just over 2 weeks ago (2 weeks after leaving my previous job.) My new employer took my contract issues to a solicitor over 1 week ago and I have been asking to see it now numerous times. My employer has now left me in charge of the business (as soon as I started they went to Spain and placed me directly in charge after very little information) and I still have not seen the contract. I have had the worse start to any job ever and wish to leave. Am I under any obligation to the contract of which I have not seen the updated version or signed it?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No. The business is just 3 persons as all others are self employed. I am the first employee
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you

Sorry to hear this.

You may inform your employer that you cannot work with them under the circumstances that you have mentioned.

As the written particulars of the terms and conditions of employment are not agreed, you may stop working immediately if you so wish as once you have worked for a month, you would be obliged to give them at least one week's notice. As you have not yet worked for a month, you may leave immediately, or you may give a week's notice if you so wish.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.would ANY of the terms within the contract count. I have not seen the updated version or signed it?

Obviously the salary would be important.

As you do not know what the updated version is, you cannot be bound by it, but you may look at the original version for guidance although you could argue that you started work subject to contract and therefore are not bound by anything.

All the best