UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Citizen, married to UK British Citizen since Jan 2013. I

Customer Question

Hi there.I am Russian citizen, married to UK British Citizen since Jan 2013. I live in UK since 2015 and my second 2.8 years spause visa will finish June 2020. I work without gaps all this time in NHS. Things are not good with my partner and I am fear to lose my job due to residence permit situation as this will affect my carier ladder. Is there any chance I can apply for ILto remain yearlier then June 2020? And if he will apply for devorce would I need to leave the country straight away? Many thanks
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: No documents filled yet.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is nothing else yo declare
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid you can only apply for ILR 28 days before your visa expired in June 2020.

One of the conditions of your visa is that you must be living together in the household as a couple and if your marriage breaks down before you are granted ILR, there is a risk that your visa will be revoked and you will have to leave the UK.

If possible, you should try and stay married and remain as a couple until you receive ILR as once you receive ILR, you may immediately apply for British Citizenship if you so wish.

I hope this helps. If so, please leave a positive rating.