JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have self storage who due to unpaid bills due to financial

I have self storage who due to unpaid bills due to financial difficulties which I communicated to them they are now going to sell all my things if not paid is this legal
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cheshire
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: They asked if I could pay the outstanding amount of £372 and empty it on Monday however I can not afford this. So now I have asked them if I can just remove my personal belongings such as photos of my children, birth certificates and baby books from it and they can sell the rest but they will not let me in the unit without me paying the outstanding balance if it is not paid they will sell it all and dispose of what they can not sell
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is everything

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today. I am just reviewing your question.

Was there anything in the contact which you signed to allow them to sell off items in the event of non-payment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately yes there is however I am asking to collect personal items that are unsalable just my children’s photos and baby books

OK, yes the personal items have no value to them but sentimental value to you. So have they refused your request to collect those items?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they said unless full payment is made I can not enter the facility and everything will be sold or destroyed

Do you know if the terms say "everything will be sold", for example. I would have thought only items of value would be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to check the wording. But at present total access has been denied even though I only want my sentimental items

OK, if you prefer you can upload it here and I will check. The guide re uploading documents is here :

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you I will upload the contract for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, there are 27 pages of the contract and it will only allow me to upload one how can I upload them all?

Hi there, if you email them to***@******.***, ask them to forward on to me and I will look at them.

The relevant part would be the situation of non-payment or anything which allows them to dispose of items

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve emailed that to the above address so you should receive it shortly. Really hope you can help mine and my children’s years of possessions are in there and they are just going to sell and dispose of them like they’re nothing. I have already received emails with pictures of my things where they broke the lock on my storage and photographed everything to sell and now they have their own lock on there to which I don’t know the combination. I owe them £372 which I just can’t afford I have paid them so much money already and the monetary value of the items in the storage is much greater than £370 never mind the sentimental value.

OK, thanks, ***** ***** being Sunday it may be delayed but they will send it to me shortly - will confirm back once I have it

Thanks, ***** ***** now seen the conditions. I attach a copy of the document - if you see sections 19 and 20 of the terms, it does state they have a lien over your goods (it doesn't distinguish between items of sentimental value or not) and the right to sell them unless prompt payment is made.

Their terms are likely to be found legal I am afraid to say - there is no comeback in my view if you do not pay them the balance owed. I am sorry to give you the news but I am duty bound to tell you. The only thing I can suggest is to speak to them and ask whether the sentimental items (of no real value to them) can be returned.

I hope this helps - if you can please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, I can answer follow up questions at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor