JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Can I move out of a rented property if I was serviced with

Customer Question

Can I move out of a rented property if I was serviced with Notice 21 and would I be responsible for the notice period give by the landlord, said he wanted to sell the flat to his daughter. I have been living here since 2002
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have had chats and telephone calls between us, so no. We have a good relationship, landlord to tenant.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Westminster
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No sure, to be honest
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today. I am just reviewing your question.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

You would have to be given at least 2 months' notice to leave the property - if you did not the landlord could then apply for a possession order. However the notice period will allow you to live in the property until a certain date and you would need to pay the rent until you leave (if you did not then this would breach the tenancy agreement and the landlord could also sue for arrears).

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim, I know that, it is not that simple. Could we talk on the phone?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

OK, I can't take a call at the moment but if you submit a phone call request, one of the other experts should pick it up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, typing. Please ensure my card is not debited with the phone call.
I now have to repeat again... I was serviced with the notice. The question is, if the landlord decided to sell the flat to his daughter and asked me to move having given me 60-days notice and I discussed with him to move out rather earlier as in two weeks after the notice, and he agreed I could, can he now demand the two months notice rent payable?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Morning, if that was agreed then no, as it was a verbal agreement so he waives his right to sue for arrears which are incurred after the agreed 2 week period.