UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I’m in UK to attend a course. The cost is 600 pounds. On the

Customer Question

Hello. I’m in UK to attend a course. The cost is 600 pounds. On the website it said there were criteria to get a discount of 100 pounds. That we had to be a group of 5 all starting on the same day and must have sent an email with the names 5 days before commencement of the course. We sent 5 names at the right time but as one members’ flight was delayed swapped one person on the first day of the course. Obviously we didn’t qualify and had to pay 600 pounds. This course began on Monday 1/7/2019. Today we were pulled out of class to say we had to pay 20 pounds extra as “penalty” or we would not be allowed to attend mock examinations as part of the course. A very crucial part. Reason given was “for the stress”. This wasn’t written anywhere or stated. We asked to speak to the owner/manager and were denied.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I was going to go straight to the cops but I decided to seek some advice first
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It feels like extortion. They can as well come tomorrow and demand for 1000 pounds
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 months ago.

Yes, they cannot demand payment of such a fee for stress, unless you have agreed to pay it or unless it is provided in the terms and conditions of the course.

The police may not intervene if they think it is a civil matter.

I hope this helps. If so, please leave a positive rating. Thank you.