Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a ccj entered for a parking ticket, i no longer live

I have a ccj entered for a parking ticket , i no longer live at the property and never saw the letters, only found some letters last week when the tenant told me i had letters, i missed the 30days and i want it set aside as its my old address tirns out i forgot to change address with dvla. But i am on the electoral role in my new address. Its a private car park.sent for an SAR of all info the solicitors have so i can see what the contravention is
Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Grove park London se12
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Ccj is already entered i want to do a n244 to set ot aside
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know if i have a good chance of setting it aside

Hi thank you for your message, it is a common circumstance that people are not always aware that a CCJ has been requested and agreed against them. You may be able to get a CCJ set aside if the original judgment was made without your response being taken into account. This could happen if as in this case the paperwork related tot he claim was sent to an old address. If you want to apply to set aside a CCJ, you’ll need to fill out an N244 form, which you can find here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n244-application-notice. The application fee is £255. In the form, you’ll need to explain that you want to set aside the judgment and the reason why. If you didn’t respond to the original claim form the court sent, explain the reason for this. If you’re unsure about how to fill out the application form, you can use these N244 guidance notes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n244-application-notice.

You need to send the completed N244 form to the court along with the fee. It’s also a good idea to let the creditor know that you’re doing this. In most cases there’ll be a court hearing about the case you that must attend. This should be at your local hearing centre, and the court will let you know when this is. Although this may sound worrying, a hearing like this is usually a private room with you, a judge and sometimes a representative from the creditor. The judge is impartial and will decide a fair outcome. I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But if i didn't update my address with the dvla as an oversight will the judge accept to set it aside. Is there any point paying 255pounds?

Hi thank you for your message, the CCJ has implications for your credit rating and could have implications for your ability to obtain credit in future therefore, you could speak to the party that obtained the CCJ and see if they would agree to set aside the CCJ in exchange for you paying the money owing. I would recommend you do try to get the CCJ set aside given the implications.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Hi can I check were you satisfied with my answer today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks

I am glad you were satisfied, would you be able to give me a 5 star review? That would be really appreciated if you do not mind, there should be an option in the top right of your screen to rate out of 5 stars.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will give a 3 star ok rating because I got all you said already on the internet, i wanted to know if a judge would not allow me a set aside if it's my omission to change my address and I really didn't get a response to that. But you did help by encouraging me to make an attempt since the implications of a CCJ is so dire

Hi thank you for your message, I understand you are frustrated in relation to the address, this is a factor that the court can take into account and as you have deduced they might decide that as you omitted to keep your records up to to date and the original CCJ documentation was sent to the address on the DVLA register that the CCJ was correctly made. That said, the court may also decide that in light of your explanation for the error, despite the omission, they will decide to get the CCJ set aside especially if you can give a commitment to clear the debt. Unfortunately, it is a matter of discretion for the judge and therefore I cannot supply a definitive answer one way or the other. I hope this clarifies matters? I am glad that you were encouraged to attempt to get the CCJ set aside.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks appreciate your reply.

I am glad I helped and wish you well in looking to get the CCJ set aside.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last question please, is it advisable to speak to the solicitors who entered the claim in my name that as i know I can prove in court that I do not live at this address are they willing to consent that they set it aside if i pay the judgement amount.

It would be worth talking to them to see if they would agree to set aside if you pay the judgement amount that would be my advice if you can get them to agree that would be far better then you can effectively present the court with an agreement to set it aside.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks
No problem take care