Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My son has entered a contract to share a house with 5

My son has entered a contract to share a house with 5 others, the agent has sent a contract out and has been signed by the six occupants. The agent has made a mistake on the pricing of my sons rental and is detailed in the contract. This is further compounded as he has paid 12 months and 20 days up front. The agent is now asking for additional funds, where does he stand. The contract started on 8th July and runs for 12 months and 20 days.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
A copy of the tenancy agreement is attached.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My son's name is ***** *****, he is currently out of the country so I am trying to find a position for him to discuss with the agents in the morning.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Has it been signed by the landlord? Note, it may be the morning when I reply.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm not sure. I'm just asking my son.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm speaking to my son now, he is checking.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, What would be the best my son can hope for? This is the third contract that has been issued and the value has remained the same through out. He has now been told he needs to pay further monies. Can he expect to reduce the sum as its the agents error?

If it’s not been signed then it’s not binding. It must be signed by tenant and landlord for it to be a contract. Either party can pull out at time time before it’s counter signed.

So even though it’s the mistake of the agent, the landlord can still pull out. I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That's as I expected but wanted to be sure. Thank you for your assistance. I appreciate your honesty. Good night

Sorry it’s not better news. Can I help with anything else tonight?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** a Yorkshire man I should say yes! Good night