chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I would like to know to act after a threat of defamation

Hello, I would like to know to act after a threat of defamation from my current employer
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: With an external lawyer yes, but I was advised not to go to HR or my manager, because they would just try to protect the company
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee and I moving onto a new job in September. I do not belong to a union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Kindly explain your situation further

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello,I moving on to a new job in September. Recently, my current employer accused me of drop of performance and motivation. She also said that I should be careful, because as the new job is in the same sector, news tend to travel fast. She also concluded saying that she's on the phone with my new line manager quite often.I guess I would like to know if she's legally capable of doing that.

She cannot give you a negative reference and should not be disclosing information regarding your performance to your new employer unless it is in the form of a reference.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi,Thank you for the response. I think I also feel a bit obliged to contribute to her not doing that again. Is her threat of defamation something that I should legally challenge?And If so, since I do not have any proof of our discussion, is it legal for me to record our discussions from now on? Thanks

You should only challenge if she issues proceedings.

You can only use a recording if you notify them a recording is being made.

As I have answered your original question, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

your question will not close and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much

It's a pleasure.

Good luck