Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Is it permissible for a lawyer when advising his client that

Is it permissible for a lawyer when advising his client that the negotiations may fail, to quote secondary sources?
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: The lawyer has been briefed to negotiatem but he has drafted tweo letters. One gives an overview of the negotiations and the other is in case the negotiations fails.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I only need the answer to my question.

Hi thank you for your message, yes it is permissible for example a lawyer would normally look to refer to statute or case law in determining the likelihood of success in the negotiation. They might also want to refer to practitioner texts and where they are persuaded possibly even academic papers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How is a secondary reference cited?

It would depend on the particular source for example a case might reference the case name and the particular series of court reports where it can be found or a statute might reference the statute name and year.