How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7544
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I broke a tooth on a tesco product supplied by a company

This answer was rated:

i broke a tooth on a tesco product supplied by a company called gilberts. tesco passed the buck to them claiming its not a tesco product . i had a letter from gilberts saying it was in the hands of their insurers . that was 6 months ago. getting nowhere with either company and cost of treatment is 2,800pounds. do i have a case to further it and if so which company
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: didsbury sth mcr
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: ive spoken to tesco on numerous occassions . have asked to speak to the hierarchy two weeks ago . nothing . gilberts wont speak to me . secretary fobs me off each tme saying its in the hands of insurers. this happened last november
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i think thats it thanks

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today. I am just reviewing your question.

The best way forwards would be to pursue both the supplier and retailer, so both Gilberts and Tesco.

You can sue via the money claim website ( however before you do that, send both a letter before action to demand payment of the treatment fees and if they fail to do so, you will commence county court proceedings. If you send the letter before action they will contact you - and you can sue two defendants on the money claim site. You would need to send the letters to their head office addresses and clearly mark it "letter before action", similar to the attached.

I hope this helps - if you can please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, I can answer follow up questions at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7544
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor
JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Was able to speak with customer on the phone as requested and have given detailed advice as to how to make and claim and different elements which can be claimed for in these matters. Customer was satisfied with advice given.