SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

If I'm to be charged for advice I'm sorry I bothered you,

If I'm to be charged for advice I'm sorry I bothered you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in bishop Auckland County Durham England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None I've just had a telephone call from my partner who is working in Nigeria at the moment
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I sent a mobile phone to his friend in America who was leaving for Nigeria and my partner said that they have been locked up he said that it was illegal to take mobile phones into Nigeria...I've googled this and I can't find anything saying it is illegal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please this is of an urgent matter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't understand your request
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What service offer are you talking about

Hi, I'm Lea

Can I ask if you have ever met your friend in person here in the UK?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I haven't we've been chatting over four months
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't afford 43 pounds so I guess I'll just have to type to you sorry

I'm not available for a call anyway.

Has this person asked you for money previously?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he has

And have you sent any?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not in cash

I am sorry to tell you but you have been a victim of a well know scam - it comes in a variety of forms, but the romance scam usually takes photos found on the web, setting up a dating profile, then they spend time talking to you, and all of a sudden they are in some horrible difficulty and ask you to send them money or goods.

There is nothing illegal about taking a phone in or out of Nigeria.

Don't send anything else - the person you are talking to is not the person they've presented themselves to you as in photos. It's all about making money from you.

Please accept and rate positively.

Please make sure you protect yourself in future...if they don't want to speak to you on the phone and on a video cam, or meet you in person...be careful!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've spoken to him many many times but only seen pictures of him but never face timed

If you want to double check, ask to face time him and have him show you a newspaper with the actual date on it - or during the conversation ask him to write a word you give him on a piece of paper and hold it up to the camera.

If he's fake, he'll refuse.

You can also use the google image search on the photos you have received to see if they have been used for other scams online. https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en

Some scammers use previously recorded videos they find online and then play them back to pretend to be talking to you.