How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 785
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

My elderly in-laws have a neighbour whose lit cigarette

This answer was rated:

Hi. My elderly in-laws have a neighbour whose lit cigarette caused fire damage to their fence and shed and electrics. The in-laws have claimed on their insurance but have had to pay an excess of £250 and likely will have an increase in premium when renewal comes roundnin September....the neighbour (a tenant) said he would consider paying the excess as it was his fault, but is now ignoring heir request. They are annoyed as they are now out of pocket £250...
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: can they make a small claims dispute?
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Raynes park. Insurance claim is settled and paid out. A police report was filed also
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope thanks

Hello and thank you for your query. The simple answer to your question is yes, this would be a small claims action which are relatively inexpensive and straight forward to do, you can find all the relevant documents online. There are small costs involved in doing this but you can also claim for these back, the legal argument for this is that had your neighbour acted appropriately then you would not have incurred the charges in pursuing the claim and therefore should be liable to cover them. However, your parental may find that if they prepare the forms, copy them and send them to the neighbour with a letter string that they will file them unless they receive the mine wishing 7 days (for example) then the neighbour is likely to comply as it will save money, time and energy for everyone. I hope this helps and they get their money back as this is a very unfortunate incident.

I would be very appreciative if you could click “accept” on this answer and give me a positive rating. This will let the website know that I have responded to your query. You can feel free to continue to ask more follow up questions if you feel this is necessary.

Thank you, ***** *****


Ross Miller and other Law Specialists are ready to help you