How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6366
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Is it lawful for a third party to hold letters between a a

This answer was rated:

Is it lawful for a third party to hold letters between a a deceased father and son containing privileged information against the wishes of the son. And can that third party use that information without the consent of the son?
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hong Kong which relies on English law
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I’m the son and executor and trustee of my fathers estate. They were taken away by a family member without my consent and the person refuses to return them in spite of several requests to do so. Is it not improper for this person to resort to this?
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this point
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Taken away without my consent or knowledge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Taken away from the family home after my fathers death

Hi thank you for your message, I am qualified in England so you would need to confirm with a local lawyer in HK but I am aware that Hong Kong follows the English Common Law tradition, so the principles are likely to be similar. If the letters were taken without consent and against the wishes of the deceased's will for example then this is likely to constitute theft and therefore be illegal. If the family member will not return the letters therefore, you should consider reporting them to the police and the threat of this may cause them to return the letters. I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today

Jeremy Aldermartin and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you