How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 941
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I was one of 4 beneficiaries on my fathers will. My sister

Customer Question

I was one of 4 beneficiaries on my fathers will. My sister was the executor.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Sorry. Please ignore.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I was one of 4 beneficiaries on my fathers will. My sister was the executor. I have tried for the last 6 months to get a set of accounts relating to the will but without success, despite repeated emails, txts etc. My father lived & died in the UK but unfortunately I am in New Zealand which makes things a bit difficult for me. How can I compel the executor to give me the information I'm entitled to? Cheers Clive
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. It's pretty straight forward. As a beneficiary of the will I'm certainly entitled to see the accounts
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. The total sum which the beneficiary is entitled to will not be obvious from the will itself, which is why they need to see the accounts to understand how their legacy has been calculated. The courts have consistently upheld the right of a residuary beneficiary to see the estate accounts. Thus, I would recommend that you first write the executor a strong but amicable letter making them aware of your rights to view the accounts if you have not already done so. You should let then know you intend to involve the courts and give them 14 days to reply. If this does not work in your favour you should contact a UK solicitor in the area in question by visiting the law society site “Find a Solicitor". You will be able to search by area and expertise. Here is the link: The solicitor might be able to help you take the case further. I hope this helps- if you can please accept my answer- there will be a box to do so- and give me a five star rating, Just Answer will then credit me for answering your question today.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 6 months ago.
No problem. I would appreciate if you can accept my answer and give me a positive rating. Best wishes!
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 6 months ago.
Hi, can I confirm were you satisfied with my answer?