Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have been sent home early( 3 days) from a 7-week contract

I have been sent home early( 3 days) from a 7-week contract on the popular kid's program Molly and Mack, mass unfriending via facebook, no feedback from my agent or BBC, hostile reception when I went to collect my personal items. Been doing this work for more than a decade looks like a case of Defamation.
JA: Was the disciplinary action discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: neither! not had any communication at all
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: let me check the contract, I would expect a mixture as with most Tv productions
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all I have to share at moment

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today. I am just reviewing your question.

Is it defamation which you would like advice upon or employment law rights?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Defamation, as I believe this is a week to week contract, therefore, will have limited employment rights in effect.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not able to talk as in an office environment at the moment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am in Scotland if that will make things different?

Thanks, ***** ***** I am only able to advise under the law of England and Wales - but there are Scots law experts on here so I will opt out to let one of those help you today. Please do not reply to this question as it will come back to me. Many thanks

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What reason did they provide for sending you home?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no reason at all, which sometimes happens( filming schedules change), but there was something else, as the hostile reception I got when I turned up to get some bits from the building that got me worried.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The mass unfriending on facebook did not help, when I tried to ask others what was happening.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
These are all the others on the series, Les, I have worked with for over 10 years.

Thank you. I do not see how this is a case of defamation I’m afraid. Being terminated or being unfriended on FB is not defamation.

First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are:

1. There has to be a defamatory statement - the assessment that is often used to establish this is whether the statement tends to lower the claimant in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally

3. The statement has been published by the defendant to a third party

4. The claimant must prove that the words complained of were published about him

You can of course challenge them over why they did this, but you will struggle to pursue it as defamation in court.

Does this answer your query?

Experience: Qualified Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Ben, "Being terminated or being unfriended on FB is not defamation" it is supporting a rumour or communication which leading to this? the "radio " silence and mass deafness seems to highlight there is a problem, which is not communicated to me, therefore, more damaging, as I have no way to "put to rights"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
appreciate your time on this Ben, once I have more info will be pursuing this further.

But who will make these untrue statements about you? Until this happens you have no claim to even consider…