How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7543
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have separated from my partner of 13 yrs we are not

This answer was rated:

i have separated from my partner of 13 yrs we are not married but have a property together, what are my options
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: i have left the property and we have it on the market ! will i have to support her financially ?
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: hampshire england
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to know if i have a legal obligation to support my ex partner
Hello, thank you for the question. As you are not married then there is no risk of a spousal maintenance order being paid to your ex - so you’ve no need to worry. If you were married then your ex could claim maintenance from you. I hope this help? If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to ask. If you can leave a 5 star rating I’d be grateful. Many thanks, Jim
JimLawyer and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you