Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I've been separated from my wife for over 10 years she has

Hi I've been separated from my wife for over 10 years she has been living with her partner for at least 9 years we are still in touch via my step children her children to a previous marriage but I now want to seek a divorce what shall I do and what are the cost I face I am unemployed and a war pensioner just living off my pensions
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I have no children with her
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have 5 children from my previous marriage

Hi, thank you for your message. Assuming you live in the United kingdom when you apply for a divorce you’ll need to prove that your marriage has broken down and cannot be saved. You’ll need to give one or more of the following 5 reasons 1) Adultery 2) unreasonable behavior 3) Desertion 4) You’ve been separated for at least 2 years 5)You’ve been separated for at least 5 years.

For each grounds there are various conditions that may need to be met. But since you have been separated for 10 years you can divorce under ground 5 even if your ex wife does not agree. There is a £550 fee to apply for a divorce. You may be able to get help with fees if you get benefits or are on a low income. To find out if you are eligible to get help please visit this link: https://www.gov.uk/get-help-with-court-fees to apply online for a divorce please visit this link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-divorce

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thankyou that was most helpful I was able to do everything with ease online
I am glad to hear. Best wishes to you!