How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 754
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I've been separated from my wife for over 10 years she has

This answer was rated:

Hi I've been separated from my wife for over 10 years she has been living with her partner for at least 9 years we are still in touch via my step children her children to a previous marriage but I now want to seek a divorce what shall I do and what are the cost I face I am unemployed and a war pensioner just living off my pensions
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I have no children with her
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have 5 children from my previous marriage

Hi, thank you for your message. Assuming you live in the United kingdom when you apply for a divorce you’ll need to prove that your marriage has broken down and cannot be saved. You’ll need to give one or more of the following 5 reasons 1) Adultery 2) unreasonable behavior 3) Desertion 4) You’ve been separated for at least 2 years 5)You’ve been separated for at least 5 years.

For each grounds there are various conditions that may need to be met. But since you have been separated for 10 years you can divorce under ground 5 even if your ex wife does not agree. There is a £550 fee to apply for a divorce. You may be able to get help with fees if you get benefits or are on a low income. To find out if you are eligible to get help please visit this link: to apply online for a divorce please visit this link:

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Joy Nicholas and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thankyou that was most helpful I was able to do everything with ease online
I am glad to hear. Best wishes to you!