How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 754
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

We believe that the driveway in front of ours and our

This answer was rated:

We believe that the driveway in front of ours and our neighbours house has an unmarked boundary. How do we establish if this is the case, and, if it is, can our neighbours mark it by putting a fence up. We have both consulted our land registry plans and neither has inverted Ts marking,the boundary line.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: In Tring, Hertfordshire. We both own detached houses.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The neighbour is disputing that this is an unmarked boundary but will not show us their la d4 la d registry plans ...
Hi, thank you for your message. You will need to contact the land Registry directly if your title plan is not clear as the title plan will only show you the general boundaries of the property. If they cannot help you reach a conclusion you will need to go to court. Before you go to court I would recommend that you try to contact The Royal Institution of chartered surveyors (RICS) who have a boundary dispute helpline: 02476 868555.  If you decide to take the matter to court I would recommend that you contact a solicitor near you. You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function:
You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you if you wish to pursue this course of action.
I hope this helps - if you could please accept my answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this) Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Joy Nicholas and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I have contacted the land registry and they have no measured plans only those showing the general boundary. If the neighbours go ahead with a fence is there a limit on height please? Thank you.

Hi, thank you for your message. The height of fences is a planning policy thus you will need to contact the local authority planning office to find out what is allowed in your area. Best wishes