Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am the Head Coach Sussex Bowls Coaches. We have a bank

I am the Head Coach Sussex Bowls Coaches. We have a bank account in the name of 'Sussex County Bowls Coaching Scheme'. The money in the account was given by Sussex County Bowls, the controlling body for the sport. Some of the coaches in the Sussex Branch of the English Bowls Coaches Society (EBCS) say the money belongs to them. The are also members of Coach Bowls. As a signatory of the bank account Isay that the money is for the use of eberyone. The EBCS members say the money belongs to them.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sussex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have obtained copies of the Constitution of the EBCS and written to Bowls England and Sussex County Bowls.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it worth pursuing a case as to who has ownership of the funds ?

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. When the money was 'given' what was it given for and was it clear what the purpose of the money was for and who it was intended for?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The money was given for the development of bowls coaching across Sussex.

Is the money still in the bank account and what does Sussex County Bowls say about this? Does it say that the money is being appropriately used?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It says that the money can be used for bowls coaching. They have clarified that all coaches can use the money. As Head Coach for the County it is for me to decide how the money is to be used.I decided that some it should be used for training coaches to become instructors. Some of the members disagree.

Can I clarify whether the intention of Sussex County Bowls that the 'Sussex County Bowls Coaching Scheme' have control over the money and how it should be spent? What outcome are you seeking here?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The problem has arisen since Bowls England (BE) set up a new coaching body called Coach Bowls. The old scheme run by the English Bowls Coaches Society (EBCS) is no longer recognized by BE so Sussex County Bowls (SCB) who grant us £500 per year say that the money can be used by both bodies.

So can't the funds just simply be split between the two bodies in the future?