Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am looking for advice as to whether there is a case to be

Hi, I am looking for advice as to whether there is a case to be made against my former landlord. I believe there could be: 2 counts of blackmail, attempted fraud, ABH(psychological), illegal eviction, and breach of contract.
I would like to offer him a settlement agreement: his continued freedom in exchange for making him bankrupt with damages, thus justly removing the evil lunatic from the pool of landlords.
I want to know if any of this is even worth pursuing before I'm willing to pay anything.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: A housing lawyer is handling his direct attacks. I am seeking to counter attack.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that i know?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

You mean you want to blackmail him?
So you wont go to the Police if he pays you lots of compensation?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I was thinking more as an "out of court settlement agreement" style thing close out his whole ridiculous story.

Ok. What is it you want to ask me about this?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Destroying him is the primary goal, not so much compensation, though I'm sure that would help if possible.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well it sounds like such agreements are fiction based on your answer so far. So my next question is what to do if someone has done these things? The definition of blackmail seems incredibly broad.

Ok, so what do you want my help in doing?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Basically whenever it seems he might not get what he wants (massive deposit deductions, forced departure without formal eviction) he threatens to sue for £20k+ (which I know he has no case for)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The deposit claims are a blatant fraud attempt given his lack of evidence, action and obvious history.

Ok

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Would I have to go to the police for their opinion?

You can if you want. That may assist if they say its an offence. But I am not sure what you want to know from me.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I wanted to know if such an agreement was possible (sounds like it isn't), and if his actions constitued offences, and if so how to proceed.

Yes, it is possible.

But you need to be careful with the wording. Its a settlement agreement

You word is that it is in full and final settlement of any and all claims.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well i did prepare a draft of it. My understanding based on those agreements in employment settlement cases is that they must have had professional advice regarding it, and that the agreement must satisfy and state that it satisfies the conditions of one under each relevant act of each complaint. In this case those are the theft act, criminal justice act, landlord and tenants act, and fraud act. However I'm not sure if those acts actually specify the requirements or what they might be.

This is not employment. You dont need to get advice.

This is an agreement between private parties.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Clarifies the part i could write anyway. Does the other element referencing the relevant acts not apply either?

No, its a private contract.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How do you write it so as not to fall foul of blackmail law though? Or is it just ok if in relation to an actual grievance?

Yes, you just say that its in full and final settlement. You dont say you wont go to the Police.

Its a settlement, that is how you do it.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank you.

Can I assist with anything else today please?