F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have a question regarding some money transfer my friend

hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i have a question regarding some money transfer my friend wants to do to my account and if is is legal to do so
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing i just want to ask a question to a solicitor
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nopes

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

can you give me all the relevant details about your question?

how much?

what for?

where is money from?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My friend is on entrepreneur visa and he needs to show a huge some of money in his account. So he is getting the money from India from his father and he asked me if the money can come to my bank account in UK and I transfer it to his account?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i have not yet got my ILR and I am not sure if I can help him and this is legal?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
50000 pounds
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
are you there?

There is nothing illegal in transferring this money but I can tell you now that if you simply put it in your account, the account will be frozen for months while the bank do money-laundering checks and report the matter to the Serious Organised Crime Agency as suspicious activity and they will take weeks and weeks investigating it until they are satisfied that the money is clean and only then will the money be released.

Further, the bank will not tell you that’s the problem, they will just blame all sorts of admin problems. They are not allowed to tell you because that is classed as “tipping off” which is a criminal offence.

You therefore need to clear all this with the bank first and tell them exactly where the money is coming from. They are likely to want to see all the bank accounts including where the money has been lodged for the last couple of years. Yes, it’s going to be a pain in the backside but that’s what’s got to happen if you don’t want to cause any problems.

Otherwise, the money will end up frozen for months.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
okay
will it be a problem when i apply for ILR as i have to give 5 years bank account details.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
also how much money can be transferred without so that the account is not frozen?like max amount?

There is no maximum amount a minimum amount.

If the bank think anything is the least bit unusual, they will freeze it.

There is no reason why you should not clear all this with the bank first but they really are going to want to see chapter and verse of where the money came from. That really is the only way of dealing with it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
it is my friends fathers money...i dont really want to get into all this. thank you for your help. he asked for help and i will have to refuse it.