Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a question regarding Global Capital Holdings, who

I have a question regarding Global Capital Holdings, who have contacted us to help retrieve funds from an escrow account after the collapse of a wine trading company. I fear it may be suspicious as they need £2500 from us as a fee to transfer the funds held that appear to be due to us. Why can’t they just take the fee from the funds and pay us the difference?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing, telephone call from them this week was followed by a letter in the post today as we needed confirmation from them.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Ben

How were you contacted? Please provide all the contact information you have including any email and telephone numbers

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Firstly by telephone to my husbands mobile which appeared as ‘unknown’. After lengthy discussion and a request for a fee my husband asked for a letter to confirm everything. The letter purports to be from Faisal Lalani Director of Global Capital Holdings with their co reg number listed on it 10646614. The telephone number is *****(###) ###-#### This all seems correct.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Many thanks for your patience. This certainly looks like a scam, which is clear from what has happened so far. This particular type of scam is better known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ because the victim is asked to make advance payments before anything they have been promised materialises.

As there are countless variations of such scams, the best way to determine if this is one is by identifying certain 'red flags' which are often present in the build-up. The following are the most common ones and if they have occurred in this situation then it is almost guaranteed it is a scam:

{C}· Someone contacts you and promises you a sum of money. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned so it would be a cold-call. They may in fact be connected to the people you lost your money through the first time round and are now offering you a ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ to recover some of it

{C}· Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, such as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam.

{C}· Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith. The usual request is for it to be sent via Western Union, Moneygram, prepaid cards, etc. These are the favoured payment methods used by fraudsters as the money can potentially be collected using false identities, it is extremely difficult to trace them that way and you also get no fraud protection.

{C}· Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the promised money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new issues, which have suddenly arisen.

So in summary, if an unknown person contacts you to promise you money but asks you to pay them something in advance, whatever the reasons – you basically know it is a scam. Do not proceed any further with this. Do not continue communicating with them and certainly do not send money if asked to.

If you wish to report this, all scams can be reported to Action Fraud on 0300(###) ###-####or by visiting http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** rather what we suspected.

All the best