Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My cousin has been arrested for a false allegation to damage

Hi, my cousin has been arrested for a false allegation to damage to my property that my ex wife lives in. Is there any advice I could get please?
Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: It's not me. Criminal damage and theft
Assistant: Where did this occur?
Customer: Nothing occurred and the incident is supposed to have happened in Bunwell, norfolk.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's my house that my ex lives in. I am going through a toxic divorce and my ex is being toxic. I moved out 2 years ago, the house is nearly sold and I and my cousin visited to attempt to complete the inventory as she was not there. My cousin has now been accused of damage.

Hi thank you for your message, what is the basis for the criminal damage allegation and what is your query please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I went over to the fmh with my cousin Saturday night to complete an inventory as it is being sold. My ex or anyone was not there so done what I could. My cousin has now been arrested and is being detained in the local station.

How did you get into the property, do you have a key?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't afford it.

Please ignore the call request this is sent automatically, I can advise via message.

So to confirm did you use a key to enter the property?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, she changed the locks 2 years ago when I had to vacate. We were outside. Apparently a bumper was ripped from a car and loads of tools stolen. We were there 8 minutes. The next day everything was still ok as I went to attempt again at the inventory. This is not the first allegation she has made.

Hi thank you for your message, so you did not enter the property?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We opened the gate. The house is selling, it is mine only not my ex wifes there is no prohibition on me. I simply went over when they were not there for no breach of peace they cause and to see they have not moved
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not the inside of the house, just the yard /drive, there are CCTV cameras that would see us do nothing as we didn't.

Thank you for your message, well if the accusations are false then this should not be an issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We touched nothing. I tried to see if my keys worked. The next day I went by myself took photos etc and there was no damage. I saw my ex's new boyfriend take a trailer load of tools etc ( which is what hes being accused of stealing) taking into a local town where they have a lock up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am concerned I will be next!

I understand, I would not be concerned, she may accuse you but from what you have said it is clear that you did not commit any criminal act. I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thank you. How do I stop payment?

Glad I could help, please can you rate me out of 5 stars in the top right of your screen. I would appreciate 5 stars that way Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.