How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1144
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

My ex and I have been separated over a year- he has regular

This answer was rated:

My ex and I have been separated over a year- he has regular access to our 3 children, but I have learned that he has drugs in the house and regularly takes them with his new girlfriend when the children are there- he also regulary smokes in the car with the children - the twins are 7 and our daughter is 16-
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: is there anything I cans do? There is no legal paper work in place it is an agreement between us both
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Surrey- I live in Compton Guildford
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that it goes with it but I have taken him to a tribunal which is under way as he pays no child maintenance

Hi, I'm Lea

What would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What steps can I take to find out if the house is drug free and my children are safe- also what can I do about him smoking in the car with the children legally? As I have asked him repeatedly not to do it

The only way you can get this checked is either by reporting the matter to social services and or the police - both have powers to investigate, or by making an application to the court for a child arrangements order for the children to live with you (and spend time with the father), and then raise the matters of concern via the court process. CAFCASS, court appointed social workers, would very likely carry out a s7 welfare report so that the court had full information on which to make a decision in the best interests of the children.

The alternative is to make a prohibited steps order application to prevent your ex (and anyone who comes into contact with the children) using drugs immediately before and during contact with the children.

Does that asssit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** look into those suggestions

You're welcome. If you need links to the relevant forms, please let me know.

Please take a moment to rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page.

SASH_Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I don't know if you need the link to the form, but I have included it below, just in case. The form is for both the child arrangements order and for the prohibited steps order.

All the best.