SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am from EU. I have been living in the UK for 5 almost 5

Hi. I am from EU. I have been living in the UK for 5 almost 5 years now. So on 14 of September I can start applying for british citizenship via naturalisation. I wonder what will happen if I apply and will go abroad and wait for a decision there. And let's say decision will come after 6 months and I will be abroad for 6 months. Will I still get approval and invitation for citizenship ceremony? Also if it will be rejected, then I will no longer will be able to apply again, because I was staying abroad for 6 months while waiting for a decision? Thanks
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am not taken any steps yet but will start doing it on 14 of September. I am Hungarian and Ukrainian. But I am using Hungarian passport in the UK, because Hungary in the EU
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. You cannot apply for naturalisation in september this year if that will be your 5 years. You can apply for your settled status and then in September 2020 you can apply for your naturalisation. As long as you have applied and your passport has been returned you can travel out of the UK just making sure that you have someone checking your post for decision as you will not want to miss the ceremony should you have secured your citizenship. I hope this is useful to you.I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On 14 of September it will be 6 years. OK. Looks like I will be able to go abroad for as much as I want. Thank you