How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1030
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

II have a Final Hearing for divorce on 23 October. But I've

Customer Question

II have a Final Hearing for divorce on 23 October. But I've run out of money and have no legal representation. However, in approx, 3 months I will get a tax free lump sum form my pension. I need to get the Final Hearing adjourned until I have a legal team on board otherwise I won't be represented. What is the best way to get the hearing adjourned?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: First appointment 13.9.18. Directorins hearing 1.2.19. All papers filed according to requirements eg From E's etc
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: It was at Wandsworth family court but then transferred to the Central family court in Holborn but we've had to wait ten months for the hearing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry but I'm dyslexic and sugffer from Hyponea so I work when I can't sleep and spelling not good either. my apologies.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 months ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 months ago.

Has the hearing been adjourned before?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no. This is is the first FH
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I should also add that my 80 year old mother is coming out of hospital today. She is recovering from a broken hip and shoulder plus she can hardly see due to a cataract operation that went wrong. /she needs eye drops 6 times a day and I am the only one that is able to do this as both my sisters work. I therefore have to go from London to Oxford and stay with her until the proper care package is in place. Yet I have deadlines of Thursday and Friday to exchange financial update disclosure which I am going to miss because I do not have access to my files in Oxford. I should also mention that I have been referred by a GP for a cancer check up in a couple of weeks time.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 months ago.
It is not unusual for parties to request an adjournment on the basis that they wish to seek assistance from a lawyer to assist with representation. So, at the hearing you would simply advise the judge that you have been self representing and due to the complexity of the issues being raised you feel it best to be represented by Counsel. Advise also that you had difficulties settling the fees and you have only just been able to do so, you ask therefore for the matter to be adjourned. I would advise that you write a letter to the other side as well as th court to notify them of ur intentions to seek the adjournment. This is best as if the court is forced to prepare for a hearing and you seek the adjournemebt you may have costs ordered against you.I hope I have clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of assistance. Kindly take the time to rate the services received.Best wishes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
At hwcmomwnt I am represented but I have been asked for £20,000 on account legal fees though to the case on the 23rd. October. Within a week or two I am going to be faced with having to tell my solicitor and barrister this amd ar that point I’m 100% sure they’ll walk away leaving me exposed at the pre-hearing session on the 3rd October and then the FH. WhT would be the best way to hamdle the situation with my solicitor and barrister. I want them to represent me when I finally do have the money hopefully after an adjournment
iPhone mail. Pls excuse brevity, spelling and illegit. autocorrects.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 months ago.

Most legal representatives, I find are patient and understanding if you are candid with them. As such, I would explain the financial constraints that you are having and your willingness to pay but at a later date. You may find that your counsel may be able to adjourn the hearing to allow you sometime to settle your instructions to them ( this may include the payment of fees).

So my recommendation is to be candid and see what may be arranged.

I hope I was able to assist. I ask kindly that you take the time to rate the services received.This enables me to receive credit for the services provided. All the best