How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask iram a Your Own Question
iram a
iram a, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1824
Experience:  Principal at IA Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
iram a is online now

Me an my little boys dad are seperated, he still see’s him.

This answer was rated:

Hello, me an my little boys dad are seperated, he still see’s him. But things have happend latley where im worrying if anything happend to me he wouldnt be looked after properly and id want my little boy to live with my mum, is there any way or anything i could do to make this happen? He has the same surname as his dad and hes on his birth certificate, x
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No nothing, i dont no what i should be doing to ensure it or if i can?
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Kent
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No x

how old are your boys?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I only have 1, he just turned 2 x


i can help you for your concerns.

you can appoint your mother as guardian as your child.

you can appoint her mother as Guardian legally through your will and changes can be made through adding a simple codicil (an extra section) to your will.

It is possible to leave a simple signed statement of wishes on the matter of guardianship.

however, including arrangements in your will should make the process simpler in the unlikely event they are required. We should just note that, ultimately, a decision will be made in the best interest of the child but your stated appointment of a guardian is likely to be very persuasive.

i hope it will help you.

please give positive rating for my efforts to answer your question

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thankyou I have a will made already that has my mum or nan appointed as gaurdians, what would i have to do now exactly or what would it need to say? X

thats fine

you did enough.

i hope it will help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks so i dont need to add the codicil bit? X
Hes got the same second name as his dad i thought that meant he goes straight to him x

if you have add your name in your will as guardian of your child then you do not need to do any thing else.

if you want to add now her mother's name as guardian then you will have to prepare a codicil.

i have already explained to you that decision will be taken in the best interest of the child but your wish will be considered.

i hope it will help you.

iram a and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I dont no what a codicil is? X

A codicil means an amendment in your existing will.

you should Review your original will.

Write down the exact provision you are changing using the codicil, Write your new provision down, Sign and date your codicil.