How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7731
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I have had some property stolen by my cleaner. The cleaning

This answer was rated:

I have had some property stolen by my cleaner. The cleaning company have accepted liability, and we have reported this to the police. However the police are unable to find the cleaner who committed the theft so the case is closed pending her coming to their attention in future. The cleaning company originally agreed to pay me the value of the items taken, but are now saying there is not a legal way for them to do this. please can you confirm if this is correct
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have not taken any legal steps.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Did you contract with the cleaning company rather than with the individual in order for the cleaning to be carried out?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I contract through the cleaning company
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please could we don online for now

they are trying to avoid the payment, in law they are liable in breach of contract for the value of the loss.

I would suggest you send them a letter before action giving them 7 days to repay you (as previously agreed) otherwise you will lodge a claim in the County Court.

You can lodge the claim at

Do you have any further questions about this please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you confirm that they would not be breaking the law/committing fraud, if they refund me the money through their company?

absolutely not.

This is a matter where a civil recovery is much more appropriate than a criminal one.

They are trying to avoid paying you.

Is there anything else?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you

no problem please take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site today so that I can be credited for my time, thank you and all the best.

Jenny and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you