Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have had some property stolen by my cleaner. The cleaning

I have had some property stolen by my cleaner. The cleaning company have accepted liability, and we have reported this to the police. However the police are unable to find the cleaner who committed the theft so the case is closed pending her coming to their attention in future. The cleaning company originally agreed to pay me the value of the items taken, but are now saying there is not a legal way for them to do this. please can you confirm if this is correct
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have not taken any legal steps.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Did you contract with the cleaning company rather than with the individual in order for the cleaning to be carried out?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I contract through the cleaning company
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Please could we don online for now

they are trying to avoid the payment, in law they are liable in breach of contract for the value of the loss.

I would suggest you send them a letter before action giving them 7 days to repay you (as previously agreed) otherwise you will lodge a claim in the County Court.

You can lodge the claim at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Do you have any further questions about this please?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
can you confirm that they would not be breaking the law/committing fraud, if they refund me the money through their company?

absolutely not.

This is a matter where a civil recovery is much more appropriate than a criminal one.

They are trying to avoid paying you.

Is there anything else?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you

no problem please take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site today so that I can be credited for my time, thank you and all the best.