SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

My partner passed away in December, but didn't sign his

My partner passed away in December, but didn't sign his will. The house was in our joint names and the current will divided this by four, to my two children and his two children. The house is now in my name and since his children took all his money, I want to exclude them from having a share in the house. Am I within my rights to do this?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: I live in South Holmwood, Surrey, near Dorking.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have the title deeds to the house.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

How did you and your husband hold the house - as joint tenants or tenants in common?

How did the children get hold of the money?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I have a reply please?
Sorry, just seen it. We owned the house as joint tenants. The children just took the money because we weren't married so they could

If the will wasn't signed, then it isn't valid and your partner's estate will be dealt with by the laws of intestacy.

As you held the property as joint tenants, the property automatically passes into your ownership after his death and the children cannot make a claim on that.

Please accept and rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page. Please do ask any clarification questions you have.

Did you receive my response,

Was it helpful?

Do you have any further queries pertaining to this?

If not, I would appreciate you rating positively so that I am credited for the time spent assisting you. Thank you.