How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1339
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

My partner passed away in December, but didn't sign his

This answer was rated:

My partner passed away in December, but didn't sign his will. The house was in our joint names and the current will divided this by four, to my two children and his two children. The house is now in my name and since his children took all his money, I want to exclude them from having a share in the house. Am I within my rights to do this?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: I live in South Holmwood, Surrey, near Dorking.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have the title deeds to the house.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

How did you and your husband hold the house - as joint tenants or tenants in common?

How did the children get hold of the money?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I have a reply please?
Sorry, just seen it. We owned the house as joint tenants. The children just took the money because we weren't married so they could

If the will wasn't signed, then it isn't valid and your partner's estate will be dealt with by the laws of intestacy.

As you held the property as joint tenants, the property automatically passes into your ownership after his death and the children cannot make a claim on that.

Please accept and rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page. Please do ask any clarification questions you have.

Did you receive my response,

Was it helpful?

Do you have any further queries pertaining to this?

If not, I would appreciate you rating positively so that I am credited for the time spent assisting you. Thank you.

SASH_Law and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you