UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I wanted to ask about my tenancy. Currently im on a joint

Customer Question

Hi, I wanted to ask about my tenancy. Currently im on a joint tenancy and I am the lead tenant, but I wanted to move out and i was made to believe that i am able to transfer my lead tenancy to another person living in the property. I was told by my letting agency now that i can’t move out until i find a replacement. My contract ends on the 22nd of October. I just wondered, is it possob is it possible to leave and start a new tenancy but i am willing to pay my previous tenancy until the contract ends
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I haven’t filed any paperwork. At the moment, i am trying to get a referen ce from my current agency so i could transfer but they wouldn’t release any information since they said i couldn’t leave. Is it possible to have 2 concurrent address in which the previous one I am just finishing my contract with
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Chichester
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just those things ive mentioned really
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 months ago.

Yes, you are free to move out as long as you pay for your current tenancy which ends on 22 October.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for that. I am made to believe by my current leeting agency that I am not allowed to move out as i will be having 2 addresses. Am I allowed to go into a new tenancy agreement while trying to settle my previous tenancy?

Yes, you may do so. You are free to do that. You may have as many addresses as you wish to have.

Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is it correct that they should be processing my references for my planned new tenancy, right? There should be no reason why they couldn’t do that?

You cannot force them to give you a reference unless they have agreed to do so. However, you are free to rent from someone who does not require a reference.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars