How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Miles Bentley Your Own Question
Miles Bentley
Miles Bentley, Senior Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 732
Experience:  BA (Hons), CPE, LPC
Type Your Law Question Here...
Miles Bentley is online now

I have a small coffee shop I found out that we have been

Customer Question

I have a small coffee shop I found out that we have been over charged for 22 years approx 40 percent. I want to if I can take the council to court.?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: i have complained to VOA and been through Tier 1 and Tier 2 also been to Adjudicators, they said that this is outside their Remit .
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: W8 5ET
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes , it’s a large amount, shan’t to know if they agree to be paid on result .
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Miles Bentley replied 2 months ago.


I am sorry to learn of your situation.
I am a Qualified Solicitor, with over 19 years of experience in the UK.
Can you please provide me with a little more information:-

Is it an overpayment of business rates?

How did you become aware that you are being overcharged?

Have the council reduced their charges following any complaint by you?

What is the approximant amount you believe you have been overcharged?