Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have been advertising my property with an estate agent for

Customer Question

I have been advertising my property with an estate agent for 8 months without success but have given them 2 weeks notice as per contract
Plan is to advertise with new estate agent. The existing EA say that if anyone that have introduced buys the property in further they will also claim a fee. They say this stands indefinitely
Expert:  Jenny replied 8 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. What would you like to know about this situation please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
As per my question can they make pay a fee to the original estate agent if I sell through another having terminated the original estate agent
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don’t want a call just answer the question please
Expert:  Jenny replied 8 days ago.

hi yes sure, the answer will be with you shortly.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Still waiting on reply
Expert:  Jenny replied 8 days ago.

Hi apologies for the delay, this is not an uncommon clause in an EA agreement.

If they , in fact, did make the introduction then they will be able to make a claim for the fees.

Obviously the passage of time WILL play a factor as the longer from the termination to the actual sale makes it more likely that the introduction was via another agent and you can attempt to defend on that basis.

It is obviously a term intended, appropriately to avoid an individual cancelling a contract with a view to avoiding paying the fee.

Do you have any further questions about this please?

Expert:  Jenny replied 8 days ago.

Hello is there anything further I can help you with today please?