How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7067
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My son has a court hearing on Thursday 12th September in

Customer Question

My son has a court hearing on Thursday 12th September in relation to continuing contact with his children and is representing himself as unable to afford solicitors fees. His ex wife has verbally agreed to a period of supervised contact and has agreed I can do that. Can I accompany him to court and speak as a witness who has had contact with the children? or at least let the court know of my professional qualifications which would make me an appropriate person to supervise?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: As far as I know, the papers have been submitted by ex wife's lawyers
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: Court in High Wycombe
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How would we let the court know that I will be attending?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

A "Mackenzie friend" is allowed here - which is a friend or family member to accompany the applicant (your Son) to the hearing and to to be there for moral support, take notes, etc. However the court is unlikely to allow you to make oral representations as you are not a party to the case nor have you provided a witness statement in the proceedings. You can go with your Son and ask if you can speak but be prepared that the judge may say no. you would have to be involved in proceedings in some way as a witness or a party (for example as a Grandparent applying for child contact, in which case a formal application would be needed).

This link is useful to show you what I mean :

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 months ago.

I hope I have answered the question for you. If so could you kindly rate the answer (5 stars at the top of your screen). It won’t cost extra to give the rating and I will be credited for helping you.

Many thanks,