How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69222
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I lived with a friend and we had an argument, I left her

Customer Question

Good afternoon, so I lived with a friend and we had an argument, I left her house for a bit, then to now found out she threw my property that was in her house away like my belongings, how can I go about the situation?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex grays
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Talking but she wants to be violent
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Are your belongings retrievable in any way? If not, what is the total value of the items?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not in anyway she threw them all away, and they were worth about £3000-3500
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hi there apologies for not being able to reply in full this evening, I was unexpectedly delayed in severe traffic and have only just returned. To ensure a quality answer, I will reply in the morning, thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Many thanks for your patience. What you may have to do now is to pursue her for compensation for the value of the goods she disposed of without any notice or giving you an opportunity to collect them.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you yes
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

All the best