How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 61850
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My customer has supplied 4 items to me to do some work on.

This answer was rated:

My customer has supplied 4 items to me to do some work on. The cost of the work I have carried out is £480.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: My customer has supplied 4 items to me to do some work on. The cost of the work I have carried out is £480. My customer is now saying I have done the items wrong and they are no good. He says he has to replace them at a cost of £4000 each, and he is going to charge me....can he do this?
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Employees
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Did he provide you with the opportunity to rectify the work?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but the end customer will not accept any rectification
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can my customer back charge me to replace the items?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?

Hi there. Have you been provided with a breakdown of the charge your customer now wishes to pass on to you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, not yet but I expect it to be in the region of £10000

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

In the event of substandard work, the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, the consumer can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. If the trader refuses to resolve the issues, the consumer can consider getting someone else to do this and either deduct these costs from the total owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred.

Assuming that rectifying the work is not possible, then you may potentially be charged for replacing the items that were ‘damaged’ through the substandard work.

The key is whether the work can be undone or rectified – if you are unreasonably being denied that opportunity you can always argue that their actions are not fair and that you should not be legally expected to pay for the replacement costs.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Ben, yes thank you, ***** ***** has been answered

All the best

Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you