How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2315
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I've recently moved into a house, it's a brand new build but

Customer Question

Hey, I've recently moved into a house, it's a brand new build but the landlord lied in the add. It stated it came with white goods, and it doesn't. I sold mine as I assumed I'd have some, and they've now stated it doesn't come with one, but they'll "sort something out" as it's a new build, it's also been poorly made. There is no actual fridge outlet, or washing machine outlet drilled into a wall which was supposed to be done Friday. So I'm going to be £250 out of pocket to get a fridge and a hole drilled into the wall to fit the washing machine. As they've done nothing after 5 days and I need to be able to eat something other than a can.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Leicestershire
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've called 3 times, their repair departments didn't do anything, the housing officer (its through association) has ignored calls and not called back, neither has his manager. I stated in a voice mail if I have to buy one myself ill take it to small claims court to recover costs, as they advertised it falsly
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They stayed Thursday "it'll all be done by Monday" and it hasn't been. I've also let them know that I have aspergers, so I'm extremely literal and can't really deal with being told one thing and it not happening, they also said they put the repair through, then I contacted the building company who said they've done nothing so far. Stated*Thursday
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 3 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, firstly can I express my sympathy at your situation. I would advise that you allow them one last attempt to remedy the situation, with this in mind I would advise that you send them a letter before action to demand that they fix the matter within 5 days or agree to pay you the cost of remedying the matter yourself. If they then do not resolve the issue within 14 days you can then look to issue small claims proceedings to recover any cost spent to resolve the issue. You should ideally obtain 3 quotes for any work and then se those to bring the action. Though you can also get the work done and claim afterwards for the money spent as well in the circumstances. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.