How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7731
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

My customer will not pay my last three invoices total £540

Customer Question

My customer will not pay my last three invoices total £540 for work done at £20 per hour in the amusement trade repairing arcade machines, I have a arcade pusher of theirs which I did some work on. Can I sell that to pay what he owes me? Hope you can give some good advice, The customer has a bad reputation I have found out of not paying people and closing companies and starting again.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Leeds west Yorkshire England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried given him notice before taking action but can not afford to spend money with courts as I have no work now. He also told police I had stolen the machine which I did not and police agreed with me and said it was a civil matter to sort out our self.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is main thing, or although I was doing this work for him I have Tenri Ltd which I have and invoiced him through that but now no work and looking for a job
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. What would you like to know about the situation please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I sell the machine to cover what they owe me or save till they pay and if I can only save the machine can I charge storage as it is in my way
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 months ago.

I would not advise selling the machine to cover the cost as there is no legal right to do this.

You can tell them that you will claim costs of storage, provided they represent real losses rather than a punitive charge.

Your best approach is via the County Court System for the failure to settle the invoices.

Is there anything further you would like to know?