12826847

I have received a deposit from a tenant of my owned flat

Customer Question

I have received a deposit from a tenant of my owned flat some ten years ago. The deposit was paid into my bank account and has not been queried as the tenant has been good and paid rest on time. The tenant has now left the flat and there are several issues.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No but there are several issues. The deposit has been held in my account and I do not dispute the amount. Several items have been damaged including tears on the carpet and decorations. Do I have to return the deposit?
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Epping very close to the station and worth £35,000!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only how vunerable I am to holding the deposit withhout it being held by Agents account. Am I in danger to claiming damage repairs?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 10 days ago.

Have you protected the deposit?