Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a cifas marker and literally unable to open a bank

Customer Question

Hey, I have a cifas marker and literally unable to open a bank account anywhere What do I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London I'm only 16 years old
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried applying for many banks basic accounts current accounts tried to get my credit file, but was unable to
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was with Santander when my account was shut down forever and i am no longer allowed to bank with them
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Why did you get a CIFAS marker?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was a money mule and it was a foolish mistake someone convinced me to do

You can take the following steps:

Step One

Formally complain to the organisation that registered the warning. If they uphold your complaint, they can remove the entry and it will be deleted from our system. In your email or letter of complaint to them, remember to:

• Ask for the matter to be registered formally as a complaint;
• Detail exactly what you're complaining about, including why you think the Cifas warning is unwarranted;
• Include copies of any documents that support your case, and any correspondence you've received;
• Keep copies of all your correspondence from this point.

In most cases, disputes are resolved at this stage.

Step Two

If you are not satisfied with the organisation's response, ask them for a Final Response letter (if you haven’t received one), which confirms that they have investigated and that they are rejecting your complaint.

Step Three

Share that letter with CIFAS and they will conduct an independent review on your behalf. Please include in your correspondence:

• Your full name and date of birth
  • Your current address and any other addresses you've lived at or used in the last five years
  • A copy of your Final Response letter
  • Copies of any other correspondence that supports your case
  • A brief explanation of why you think the Cifas warning is unwarranted.

They will review your complaint with the organisation concerned and confirm whether it followed the right procedures. We aim to resolve all investigations within 14 days, however please note some complaints can take longer to resolve. They do not have the power to recommend financial awards but will offer as much advice and guidance as possible.

Further Steps

If, following our investigation, they believe the filing was correct, but you would like to continue disputing the case, the next step is to contact the relevant regulator or complaints scheme for the industry.

In most cases the relevant scheme is the Financial Services Ombudsman but it does depend on the industry in question. For example, a case involving a telecoms company would be referred to the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS). If you are not sure who to go to, just ask and our team will be able to direct you.

They can be contacted at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

That should resolve it for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.